Museum of Contemporary Art Belgrade
The Belgrade Museum of Contemporary Art was opened on October 20th 1965. The Executive Council of the Socialist Republic of Serbia decided to construct a building which would live up to the standards of modern musicological principles, and allots a location for it in New Belgrade, at the Sava-Danube junction, across the Belgrade Fortress. The first director of the Museum was Miodrag B. Protić a painter and the author of many significant exhibitions, books and texts concerning the history of modern Yugoslav and Serbian art.
Nikola Tesla Museum
The Nikola Tesla Museum was conceived from the outset as a complex institution, encompassing cultural, educational, scientific and memorial functions. This largely determined its original vision and mission. As a cultural institution, the Museum deals with the protection and presentation of Tesla’s legacy. In the scientific field, the Museum carries out re-search and publishes Tesla’s original works, while staff and associates take part in scientific conferences at which research results are present-ed. The Museum also holds the remains of Nikola Tesla, which makes it one of the few museums in the world which has a memorial as well as a technical function
The National Museum was founded by a decree of the Minister of Education Jovan Sterija Popovic on May 10, 1844 as Serbian Museum (Muzeum serbski) whose purpose was to collect antiquities in one place and to safeguard them for posterity. The National Museum soon grew into an official representative of the state and the society, testifying to a possible strength of culture and museums in Serbia.The years between the wars brought big transformations in which the exhibitions, especially international ones that partially decreased, and the diverse research and exceptional publishing activities positioned the Museum as a center of information on good, on beauty, on special values of the national, but also of European, heritage.The rich exhibiting and publishing activity as well as the diverse programmes for the public with new technologies in a prominent place, confirmed that the National Museum is an important center of communication and source of knowledge, an open, dynamic and accessible museum.
Etnographic Museum in Belgrade
The Ethnographic Museum in Belgrade was founded in 1901, when the Ethnographic Department was separated from the National Museum to become an independent institution. The proposal to establish a museum that would study folk life and the conceptual and theoretical framework for such a museum were drafted by the historian Stojan Novaković, Since its founding until the present day, the museum has been dedicated to professional collecting and the study of museum objects and ethno genetic processes, traditional material culture, social relations and family life, customs, beliefs and folklore. It has also been involved in the study of the features of Serbian culture, as well as those of other ethnic groups living within the region. The Ethnographic Museum in Belgrade organizes temporary and permanent exhibitions. Eight permanent exhibitions and several hundred temporary exhibitions in the country and abroad have been organized so far. The eighth permanent exhibition, titled The Folk Culture of the Serbs in the 19th and 20th Centuries, was set up in 2001. Over the past twenty-two years, the International Festival of Ethnographic Film has been a regular programme organized by the museum. The museum also organizes workshops for children and adults, lectures, book presentations and concerts.
Avala is a mountain in Serbia overlooking Belgrade. It is situated in the south-eastern corner of the city and provides a great panoramic view of Belgrade, Vojvodina and Šumadija, as the surrounding area on all sides is mostly lowlands. It stands at 511 metres (1,677 ft) above sea level. The Avala Tower is a 204.68 m (672 ft) tall telecommunications tower located on Mount Avala, The original tower was finished in 1965, but was destroyed on 23 April 1999, during the NATO bombing of Yugoslavia. The tower’s reconstruction commenced on 21 December 2006 and it was officially opened on 21 April 2010. It is currently the tallest tower in the Balkans.
House of Flowers
House of Flowers is the resting place of Josip Broz Tito (1892–1980), the President of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, and his wife Jovanka Broz (1924–2013). It is located on the grounds of the Museum of Yugoslav History in Dedinje, Belgrade, Serbia.The name House of Flowers comes from the fact that many flowers surrounded the tomb until it was closed to the public after the breakup of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. Today there are only white rocks where the flowers used to be. It was internally called “flower shop” during Tito’s life when it served as his auxiliary office with covered garden.”House of Flowers” was built in 1975, on the basis of a project by architect Stjepan Kralj. It was built as a winter garden with areas for work and rest of Josip Broz (area 902.00 m2) near the residence where he lived. Permanent exhibition in “House of Flowers” consist of local, republic and federal Relays of Youth from the period after the 1957, from when 25. May was celebrated as Youth Day. Beside that, written messages that Tito received with relays, photographs of people carrying and exchanged batons, tickets and programs of rallies, and other related material are displayed in the museum.
The White Palace
The White Palace is a former royal residence of the Karađorđević dynasty. The palace is located in the Royal Compound, in the Dedinje neighborhood of Belgrade.The White Palace located in the same complex as the Royal Palace, the official residence of the Karađorđević royal family. The palace was designed by architect Aleksandar Đorđević, in a neo-Palladian manner inspired by the 18th century English houses such as Ditchley Park. The palace was commissioned and built with the personal funds of King Alexander I for his three sonsBeli dvor was periodically used by presidents Josip Broz Tito and later by Slobodan Milošević for official state functions and foreign visits. Milošević.The White Palace is open for public visitations on weekends during the tourist season from April to November.The Royal Compound has also participated in Tourism Fairs in Belgrade and Novi Sad and during the Days of the European Cultural Heritage.
The National Assembly
The House of the National Assembly of Serbia is the seat of the National Assembly of Serbia. The building is on Nikola Pašić Square in downtown Belgrade, and is a landmark and tourist attraction. Between its completion in 1936 and 2006, it was the seat of the Parliament of Yugoslavia and the Parliament of Serbia and Montenegro
St. Michael’s Cathedral
The Cathedral Church of St. Michael the Archangel is a Serbian Orthodox Christian church in the centre of Belgrade, Serbia, situated in the old part of the city, at intersection of Kralja Petra and Kneza Sime Markovica Streets. There was an older church, dedicated to St. Arch. It is one of the most important places of worship in the country. It is commonly known as just Saborna crkva (The Cathedral) among the city residents. The Cathedral has been proclaimed as the 1st category cultural property in 1979.The Cathedral Church in Belgrade with its architecture, art work and rich treasury is an impressive cultural monument. It is an invaluable historical monument of the Serbian sector of Belgrade from in first half of the 19th Century, which formed in area around the Cathedral Church, thus becoming its religious, administrative and cultural centre.
Church of Saint Sava
The Church of Saint Sava is a Serbian Orthodox church located on the Vračar plateau in Belgrade. It is one of the largest Orthodox churches in the world and ranks among the largest church buildings in the world. The church is dedicated to Saint Sava, the founder of the Serbian Orthodox Church and an important figure in medieval Serbia. It is built on the Vračar plateau, on the location where his remains were burned in 1595 by Ottoman Grand Vizier Sinan Pasha. From its location, it dominates Belgrade’s cityscape, and is perhaps the most monumental building in the city.
Belgrade Fortress consists of the old citadel (Upper and Lower Town) and Kalemegdan Park (Large and Little Kalemegdan) on the confluence of the River Sava and Danube, in an urban area of modern Belgrade, the capital of Serbia. It is located in Belgrade’s municipality of Stari Grad. Belgrade Fortress was declared a Monument of Culture of Exceptional Importance in 1979, and is protected by the Republic of Serbia.It is the most visited tourist attraction in Belgrade, with Skadarlija being the second. Since the admission is free, it is estimated that the total number of visitors (foreign, domestic, citizens of Belgrade) is over 2 million yearly.
Gardoš is an urban neighborhood of Belgrade, the capital of Serbia. It is located in Belgrade’s municipality of Zemun. Located on the slopes of the hill of the same name, with its tower and preserved old architecture, Gardoš is the major historical landmark of Zemun. For the most part, the neighborhood preserved its old looks, with narrow, still mostly cobblestoned streets unsuitable for modern vehicles, and individual residential houses, The major attraction in the neighborhood is the Kula Sibinjanin Janka (The tower of Janos Hunyadi) or the Millennium tower, also known as the Tower on the hill or simply the Gardoš tower It was part of the massive construction effort which included buildings in Budapest as well as four millennium towers on four directions of the world. Being the southernmost city in then Hungary within the Austria-Hungary, the tower was built on the ruins of the medieval fortress on Gardoš hill which barely survived today (only angular towers and parts of the defending wall).
Ada Ciganlija, is a river island that has artificially been turned into a peninsula, located in the Sava River’s course through central Belgrade, the capital of Serbia. The name can also refer to the adjoining artificial Lake Sava and its beach. To take advantage of its central location, over the past few decades, it was turned into an immensely popular recreational zone, most notable for its beaches and sports facilities, which, during summer seasons, can have over 100,000 visitors daily and up to 300,000 visitors over the weekend Owing to this popularity, Ada Ciganlija has been commonly nicknamed “More Beograda” (“Belgrade’s Sea”). Lake Sava often also referred to as Ada is 4.2 km long, has an average width of 200 m and is 4 to 6 m deep. Most of the forest on the island is protected, including the entire central, northern and western sections. These parts of the peninsula are entirely wild with uncultivated vegetation and very little or no human presence, making it unique compared to other European city islands and peninsulas.